Sunday, March 01, 2009

Leeds Sports Woman of the Year

Team Peakuk paddler Claire O'Hara has just been awarded Leeds Sports Woman of the Year. Claire received the award for her dedication to Freestyle and Squirt Kayaking in which she has excelled over the last few years winning European, World and British titles. Well done!!
(Pete Astles PeakUK)



What a fantastic way to start the year.

I received a letter in January saying that I had been nominated as the Leeds Sports Women of the Year.



In 2006 I received 2nd place at the awards as highly commended Sports Woman of the Year so to be nominated again was a fantastic suprise.

The event took place on Monday the 22nd February 2009 at the Leeds Carnegie Headingley Stadium and was hosted by the Leeds Sports Federation, Sports Leeds and Leeds Met University.



The evening started with a lovely meal followed by the awards. I was joined at the event by my Grandad, Dad, Mum, Aunty Breada and Boyfriend Ian.



It was great to see the city celebrate the success of its top athletes. There was a wide representation of athletes shortlisted to win the awards from a variety of different sports, both Olympic and non Olympic,including diving, squash, disabled weight lifting,hockey, rugby and kayaking.



The Lord Mayor of Leeds and president of the Leeds Sports Federation started presenting the award.



I could not believe it when they announced that I had been chosen alongside boxer Nicola Adams, hockey player Jo Ellis, cyclist Debbie Flood and rower Lizzie Armsitead to win the 2008 Leeds Sports Woman of the Year Award.



Thank you to Leeds Sports Federation and everyone who helped with the event. Thanks to everyone who has helped me in my training and success over the last few years. And a massive thank you those of you who nominated me.

Thank You

ClaireO
Leeds Sports Woman of the Year 2008